The Anniversary ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Anniversary by Alex Finlay
NetGalley
Genre: Fiction, Mystery & Thriller (from NG)
GR also lists Psychological Thriller, Serial Killer, Crime
The How/Why: NetGalley plus about two dozen of my bookie friends on Goodreads have given it great reviews.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
🎣 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣
🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕
🕮 Would I want a sequel? No ➖ Not necessary
📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕
💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? KidnaƤƤinᵷ, Sɇxuɐl Violɇncɇ, MŪrdɇr, Survivor Trɐumɐ, Sɇriɐl Ki⅃ℒer
Update: The SV was off screen
🌶 Spice? No
🌪 Plot Twist? YES!
👟 Pace? Great
💻 Tidbits ~ This book made me gasp at 01:42 (not even two minutes) into the audiobook and kept me hooked until the end! This was totally an E-Ticket Ride* and EXACTLY what I want out of a psychological thriller.
May 1st is a day they will never forget in this small town USA. The anniversary date every year when the Sɇriɐl Ki⅃ℒer takes his victims.
Jules is one of the "lucky ones" that he lets live. This leads to years of survivor trauma as the sweet and pretty-little-rich-girl has that night engraved in her memories for life. She didn't see his face but she will never forget his voice.
Quinn, a quiet and caring boy struggling to help his mom make ends meet, meets Jules in High School Study Hall. They couldn't be more different yet have a connection. Little do they know their lives will be connected for years to come.
May 1st - The night Jules is attacked, Quinn gets in a fight at a concert trying to help someone he knows, which sends him to juvenile detention. While there his mother is brutally murdered.
Jules, initially silent about her attack, is on a mission to find the MayDayKiller and Quinn is on a mission to solve his mother's murder.
No SPOILERS but I thought I had it figured out...Wait! What? I didn't have it figured out? Hold up... Did I? It's not over til it's over. Edge of seat material!
The ending made my heart skip a beat. No, it wasn't arrhythmia! IYKYK.
I really appreciated the 1990's nostalgia that took me right back to my hay days with Pearl Jam, grunge fashion, dial-up internet, mix-tapes, and a group of veterans talking about the "b0nɇr pill**"!
Also the message for survivors and witnesses to stand together.
*Throwback reference although not mentioned in the book. Ticket books were discontinued in the 80's, but we still talked about E-Ticket Rides well into the 90's when referencing something really good.
**I seriously worked with two elderly men in the late 90's who would discuss "the pill" over morning coffee!
I listened to the audiobook. Narration by Ari Fliakos and Britany Presley was very good. Ari's voice was very mellow which I thought fit the personality of the quiet boy and gentle man Quinn became. Britany brought the traumatized yet determined Jules.
🎧 Narrator: Ari Fliakos and Britany Presley
🎧7.25 hours 🕮 336pages
Comments
Post a Comment