The Heartbreak Hotel ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Heartbreak Hotel by Ellen O'Clover 

G👀dreads About Summary

A bed-and-breakfast for the brokenhearted might hold the key to another chance at love in this achingly hopeful debut romance.
Louisa Walsh emerged from a tumultuous childhood with a degree in counseling, a wealthy boyfriend, and her sunny outlook on life mostly intact. But that optimism is tested when she’s dumped and left unable to afford rent on their gorgeous house in the mountains of Colorado. Even with her life in disarray, Lou knows losing the one stable place she’s ever called home is not an option.

Her plan: ask her reclusive landlord, Henry Rhodes, to let her stay for free in exchange for renting out the house’s many rooms as a bed-and-breakfast. She’s shocked when he agrees to her terms, and even more surprised to discover Henry is a handsome thirtysomething veterinarian with silver at his temples and sadness in his eyes. One who does not take it well when Lou starts marketing her B and B as a retreat for the recently heartbroken.

But as the Comeback Inn opens its doors to its weary, hopeful guests, Lou and Henry find themselves dancing around both their undeniable connection and the closely held secrets that threaten to topple this fragile new start. A chance at love, here, could be too close to home…or it could be exactly where their hearts finally heal.

Genre: Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Chick Lit, Rom Com

The How/Why: Recommended because of the narrator. She was part of the cast of The Mother-Daughter Book Club
I don't typically listen to two books at a time but I needed something Chick Flick-ish to supplement Mona's Eyes. Apparently I can't only take art history in smaller doses! 

⭐⭐⭐⭐

🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

🎣 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣

🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕

🕮 Would I want a sequel? Maybe 🤷 I liked the cast of characters so maybe more of a spin-off than a sequel. 

📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕ She has If Not You coming out in September. Currently NetGalley only has the e-Book available. I'll keep an eye out to see if the audiobook becomes available to request. 

💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? Griɇf, Mɇntal IllneŞŞ & FɐmilɎ Trɐumɐ

🌶 Spice? Yes, Google says 2.5-3 on a scale of 5. I'll let you know!
Update 2.5

🌪 Plot Twist? Yes, more of discovery than a twist.

👟 Pace? Good

💻 Tidbits ~ After a big breakup, Louisa (Lou) can't afford to stay in the beautiful rental house she adores. After moving from place to place with her unstable mother most of her life, this is the only place she's lived that feels like home. 

She hatches a plan to turn the house into a B&B retreat for the brokenhearted. She'll live there for free running the place, the guest fees will cover the rent. 

Enter handsome and single landlord, Henry. He has a love-hate relationship with the house. He can't live there, he won't sell it. Much to her surprise he agrees with her plan. 

Enter best friend Mei, also newly broken up with, they commiserate over their relationships and she stays to help Lou get her plan up and running.

Enter her older sister Goldie who has Lou's best interest at heart in a very judgmental since she's always had to watch over her. She has an adorable five year old son Quinn who adores his auntie. 

Enter in the mix is a very interesting cast of guests all while the romance is hatching between Louisa and Henry. I predict a year from now they will all be invited to the wedding!

Enter Lou and Goldie's needy and manipulative mother with BPD. She was a piece of work and very colorful in her own way. In my head I had the vision of Flo from Alice, the old sit-com.

Not to worry, you won't need a database spreadsheet to keep the characters straight. 

Lou uses her degree in counseling to help the broken hearted in a very good and productive way. She has knack for it and is very patient while giving out great advise. At times it felt like it was bordering a self-help book. Very relatable relationship advise covering grief and emotional healing.

Why I deducted 1 Star.
-Half Star - As the romance is underway Louisa and Henry both have big secrets. When revealed I was disappointed in the "You lied to me. But you lied to me. But that was different" dialog. As if her undisclosed truth and his deep trauma are somehow on a level playing field. There is no scale to make it emotionally equal, nor should there be (IMO).
-Half Star - For someone who was so patient and understanding of others, her reaction seemed over-the-top. 

That aside, I thought it had cozy mountain home and small mountain town vibes, surrounded by good advise and relatable characters. 

Favorite Character: Mei. She gets the Best Friend Award. I wouldn't mind a spinoff following what fierce and fisty Mei does next. 

Honorable Mention: The Tattoo. 💓

🎧 Narrator: Brittany Pressley 👍

🎧10.16 hours (Libby) 🕮 352pages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Women Ran Fifth Avenue *DNF*

Killers of a Certain Age ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Home of the American Circus ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫