Charity Trickett Is Not So Glamorous by Christine Stringer
G👀dreads About Summary
...based-on-a-true-story, behind-the-scenes tale of a young woman’s calamitous adventures trying to break into the movie industry in 1990s Hollywood.
Hollywood, 1997. When Charity Trickett moves to LA to assist the director of the biggest blockbuster film of the year, she quickly realizes that Hollywood isn’t all red carpets and Rodeo Drive. But her determination to become a screenwriter and producer in this glamorous yet cutthroat industry cannot be stifled. Working harder than she ever has before, she impresses the top brass at Canopy Studios and inches herself closer to her dream. But her ambitions and tender heart are threatened by backstabbing coworkers, an evaporating bank account, love gone wrong, a mistake that could cost the studio hundreds of millions of dollars, and an FBI investigation that could land her in jail.
Surrounded by fame and money but unsure how to access either one, Charity’s grit and kindness steer her toward devoted friends and hopeful artists. If she can manage to stay out of trouble, maybe she can change bad to good.
Genre: Fiction, Chick Lit, Romance, Comedy
The How/Why: I saw this one advertised when it was published last year and thought it sounded interesting. Especially since I lived in CA and worked in LA (Hollywood adjacent) in the 90's. I worked at a law firm that had an Entertainment Department so we rubbed elbows with that crowd.
It was initially only in print and eBook. The audiobook was just published June 2026 so I put it on hold. Added bonus, narrated by Julia Whelan.
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Probably really a 3.5 but the storytelling was good and it kept my attention so I'm feeling generous!
🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
🎣 Did it grab and keep my
attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣
🗣️Would I recommend it to
anyone? Maybe 🤷
🕮 Would I
want a sequel? No ➖ I don't like getting sucked into a series so I will probably not be back for the sequel(s).
📚 Would I want to read more
books by this author? Maybe 🤷 It was entertaining enough so we'll see what she has up her sleeve after she's done with this series. She only has one prior book and it's knitting patterns. I'm so NOT a knitter! Although I did enjoy the knitting retreat novel The Weekend Crashers.
💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? Google says: Legal & Financial Stress, Workplace Misconduct, Relationship Issues, Foul Language.
I say: so basically a "real life" warning label.
🌶 Spice? Where there is Julia, there is usually spice! Hollywood in the 1990's was often spicy! I expect some spice.
Update: Not spicy. 🫑 She talks about things in her head but I'd say it's PG13.
🌪 Plot Twist? No
👟 Pace? Good
💻 Tidbits ~ Fast and easy. The book, not Charity. Well Charity “if the shoe fits”.👠
Welcome to Hollywood, where the climb to the top is over the mountain of backstabbing chaos. It's not that Charity Trickett Is Not So Glamourous, it's her job and work environment that's not all fame, fortune, and afterparties. The struggle is real.
Charity ~ She’s hard working albeit chaotic. She thinks the way to the top is to be a people pleaser and go above and beyond - until she reaches rock-bottom-ish and realizes it’s not.
I admit she got on my nerves a little bit. She went from adorable to manic and right back to likeable again.
Kai ~ Heartthrob. To quote Charity: “It's like Kai has seen my perfect-man checklist and has made it his mission to lick all my boxes. I mean, tick all my boxes.” ☑
Saffron ~ The typical toxic coworker. Jealousy is her middle name. How does the new girl in town have so many connections? (I’m with you Saffron, this 26 year old Hollywood newbie seems connected beyond her years.)
One day Saffron is the Queen of the Mean Girl’s Club lining up the sabotage and sending Charity on meaningless tasks; the next day she’s taken her happy pills, bringing tea, and inviting Charity to lunch.
Daniel ~ Grounded wing man.
Favorite Character: Vivy Parker. The actress who kisses Charity in front of the paparazzi to divert attention after the discovery that her boyfriend cheated on her. In the 90’s that was a big splash for the tabloids! That bonded their friendship which annoyed Saffron to no end!
Narration by Julia Whelan is always great. I can’t imagine all the voices in her head!
She brought the panic when Charity realized the DVD was no longer in her possession. Then when the bosses’ bosses’ boss finds out and rips her to shreds? I could see [hear] his veins bulging and spit flying out of his mouth.
Everything was good and fine and enjoyable until…two things.
Thing One: I had a hard time with the love connection. Time lapse is only a few months and they are madly in love? This novel is based on author Christine Stringer’s real-life experiences so maybe it was love at first sight! 😍It came across to me as a lusty attraction rather than a love connection.
Thing Two: WARNING ~ Was that abrupt ending a cliffhanger?! It is reported that Stringer is planning two more in the series. A Series? Looks back at promo info. Why isn’t there a “Book 1” label if a series is planned? Sad to report there is no anticipated release date for the sequel at this time. 😡
 |
I don't like getting sucked into a series! Especially when it sneaks up on you. |
🎧 Narrator: Julia Whelan 👍👍(as above)
🎧9.0 hours (Libby) 🕮
320 pages
Comments
Post a Comment