The Book Witch ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Book Witch by Meg Shaffer
G👀dreads About Summary
Rainy March is a proud third-generation book witch, sworn to defend works of fiction from all foes real and imaginary. With her magical umbrella and feline familiar, she jumps into and out of novels to fix malicious alterations and rogue heroes like a modern-day magical Nancy Drew.
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, Magical Realism, Mystery, Books About Books
The How/Why: Lots of SM ads. Most likely algorithms because I liked The Astral Library by Kate Quinn.
Recently published 4-7-2026 and I had it on Notify Me status with Libby. People are waiting behind me so I better hop to it!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
🎣 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣
🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕
🕮 Would I want a sequel? Yes ➕ I wouldn't be mad about it.
📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕
💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? No
🌶 Spice? Google rates it 2 out of 5 for behind closed doors steam
Google's steam-o-meter is off. No spice or steam. Just some romance.
🌪 Plot Twist? YES
👟 Pace? Very good
💻 Tidbits ~ Completely adorable! A Book Witch provides divine intervention when a main character decides to color outside the pages. I mean, where would Pride and Prejudice have ended up if a Book Witch wouldn't have intervened to get Elizabeth Bennet to stop wandering off and convince her to return to the main plot? Stay in your lane Ms. Bennet or Mr. Darcy may disappear forever.
Rainy March takes us on a journey into the book worlds of Pride and Prejudice, Alice in Wonderland, and The Great Gatsby, just to name a few. She falls in love with The Duke, a detective in the very fictional The Duke of Chicago Series. He's charming, she couldn't help herself albeit against the rules!
Whimsical Fantasy meets Real World Censorship.
Another job responsibility of a Book Witch is to divert The Burners. They are censors who use magic to crawl into novels to erase plots and characters they deem unfit.
If a Burner destroys a narrative or erases characters from a story, the book vanishes from the real world. All copies disappear, and all memories of those who read it fade away. Driving home the point that censorship robs future generations of cultural heritage.
Bottom Line: Banning and burning books is bad.
Forget the magic wand 🪄. Rainy uses an umbrella as a portal to pop in and out of books. I will forever question a suspicious looking umbrella, especially in a library or book store! ☂
Favorite Character: I thought it was going to have to flip a coin between Maxine Blake and Jessa Charming. But then... Nancy Drew stole the show. She was like a mysterious breath of fresh air.
That plot also tied into Nancy Drew Mysteries rewritten in the 1950s and 60s to make Nancy less feisty and more well behaved.
Stay feisty Nancy. Some of us like ill behaved women!
Favorite Quotes:
Identity: "When I say I'm a witch, I don't mean the pointy hat kind with a broom and all that. I'm a book witch. I'm here to set the story straight."
Coping: "You're having a mild existential crisis, bourbon might help" ~Maxine Blake.
Bookish: "All stories are love stories when you love stories."
This would be a great summer vacay escape to enjoy in the sunshine with a beverage sporting an umbrella garnish (staying on theme) as well one to curl up in front of a roaring winter fireplace with a hot beverage and needy cat (or familiar of your liking). In other words, an anytime read.
🎧 Narrator: Mia Hutchinson-Shaw, very good 👍👍
🎧10.0 hours (Libby) 🕮 310 pages
| Bookmark I created with Gemini AI |
Five Star Highlights I did the bubbles, Gemini AI did background |
Comments
Post a Comment