The Dead Girls Book Club ⭐⭐⭐
The Dead Girls Book Club by Zia Rayyan
G👀dreads
Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Psychological Thriller, Suspense
The How/Why: This one was an ad by the author on IG. She said she modeled the characters after her real life girlfriends, relatable, flawed, and inspiring tribe of women she knows. Although this book is fictional she also belongs to a thriller book club.
It's been said to be "Dexter like" as morally grey and vigilante justice, but more female rage than crime scenes as in the Dexter series.
The friends connection and the Dexter vibes drew me in.
Published 1-31-2026, finally became available on Libby this week.
⭐⭐⭐
🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉
🎣 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣
💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? Abusɇ, Vi0lɇncɇ, InfïdɇlïtɎ
🌶 Spice? No
🌪 Plot Twist? Yes
👟 Pace? Good
💻 Tidbits ~ I struggled with a rating on this one. I'm trapped in that Thriller Dilemma, I like the concept but thought it was lacking in the delivery. I guess that makes it a 3 Star. Enjoyed but fell short.
I was looking for the Dexter-like vibes of morally grey and vigilante justice.
On one hand I like the idea of the book club. Female friendship bonded by the three sacred rules of The Dead Girls Book Club:
1. Never Lie;
2. Keep All Secrets Confidential;
3. Always Prioritize the Sisterhood above everything else.
Who doesn't need friends like that who will stand by you and protect you and show up at a moment's notice when you need them? Except the criminal-like behavior!
On the other hand none of the characters were very likeable. Well I take that back. Jessica was a solid bad @$$.
Pro: The pace was fast. Con: I guessed the killer early on. I'm not sure you aren't supposed to.
Then the ending deflated my enthusiasm as it came to a screeching halt. It made me not remotely interested in a sequel. Which is actually a prequel. Which I've removed from my TBR. If you read it and enjoyed it, please feel free to change my mind. I'm open to trying.
Narration by Hannah Church was good. She really brought on the "edge of your seat" excitement.
🎧 Narrator: Hannah Church 👍
🎧6.53 hours 🕮 280 pages
Comments
Post a Comment