Mona's Eyes ⭐⭐

Mona's Eyes by Thomas Schlesser

Cover Wars

Romanian

*German*

Italian

*I like the German version. Little girl observing art with her grandfather standing by watching her take it in, seems to really sum up the situation. 😍

G👀dreads About Summary

Fifty-two weeks. That's all the time Mona has left to learn about beauty before she loses her eyesight forever.

Fifty-two works of art. Every Wednesday, Mona's grandfather picks her up after school and takes her to see a great work of art.

Fifty-two chapters. Together, on their visit to Paris' museums, Mona and her grandfather will experience enchantment and sadness.

Above all, they will grow ever closer and learn to lean on each other. From Botticelli to Basquiat, Mona will discover not only the power of art, but also the meaning of generosity, doubt, melancholy, and loss. A profound, beautifully crafted novel about the fullness of life and an enthralling guide to the world's most renowned art, Mona's Eyes is a moving story about the bond between a young girl and her grandfather.

Genre: Historical Fiction, Literary Fiction, Art, France

The How/Why: I think it was suggested by one of my bookie friends. I requested a hard copy from my library because it's supposed to have a foldout of all the art pieces they reference along the way. I was told they have one but out was out on loan. Depending on when it's due date was, he could possibly request and inter-library-loan. That was a month ago. Still waiting.Waiting.WAITING. 
UPDATE - 
Finally was able to get my hands on the book. It took so long because the book was returned but they forgot to log in back into the system. SmallTownVibes. I took pictures of the unique cover. They are at the end.

⭐⭐ It's rare for me to give only two stars. Typically I wouldn't finish a book I wasn't enjoying enough to rate at least three and above. I loved the idea of the story so I stuck with it to see what happened in the end. I found the art history tedious and too long. 

🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉 This is a tough one since it was uneven with more history than story.

🎣 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣 The grandfather/granddaughter story grabbed my attention, the art history, not so much. 

🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Maybe 🤷 Only if you are really into art history.

🕮 Would I want a sequel? No ➖ <that's a HARD NO

📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? No ➖

💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? Mɇdical Trɐumɐ

🌶 Spice? No

🌪 Plot Twist? No

👟 Pace? Slow

💻 Tidbits ~ The History of Art masquerading as a novel.

The book starts off when 10-year-old Mona’s vision “goes black”. It was frightening but temporary. Upon medical testing and evaluation it’s determined she may go blind within one year. They recommended weekly visits with a psychiatrist to help her with the transition.

Her mother asks Mona’s grandfather to take her to the weekly appointments because they work, and Mona trust him most. He agrees to help but secretly he has his own agenda. Doctors Schmoctors.
Every Wednesday he picks her up and takes her to a Paris Museum. He picks only one piece of art each week. He wants her to have beautiful memories in her times of darkness as she loses her vision.

At the weekly piece of art he has picked, first she must just observe the art in silence, then they discuss. He provides information about the artist, and finally the meaning or lesson to be learned. Mona’s level of comprehension seems wise beyond her years. Just sayin’…

I think it raises an ethical question of “when is it okay to lie to your parents?” When your grandfather says it’s okay? He completely had her best interest at heart along with the knowledge that his daughter and son-in-law would not approve.
Side Note: TBH my grandfather would encourage a little secret from time to time. He would slip us some cash and say “shhhh, don’t tell”, but my parents always seemed to know.
But to carry their lie an entire year?
Her mother discovers the secret/deception at the end of the book in a way that also raises an eyebrow of “do you think that was okay?” No spoilers. Actually put a spoiler at the end.

52 weeks, 52 masterpieces, three museums. The hard copy has a pull out in the dust cover of all the masterpieces referenced in the book. I listened to the audiobook and discovered there is also a link so you can still view the art as you listen. https://monaseyesgallery.com/ If the link doesn’t work here it’s *monas eyes gallery dot com*.

This book is about 70% art history and 30% family dynamics. I wish it would have been more balanced. The relationship between Henry and Mona was very special and enduring and I would have liked more of it.
I felt like I was trapped in an art lecture that I didn't sign up for.
That being said the author is a French Art Historian, Professor, and Museum Director. If you are an art history lover this book might be for you. 

🎧 Narrator: Holly Lucas

🎧15.53 😱hours (Hoopla) 🕮 368 pages

1-19
20-34
35-52

**** SPOILER ALERT****

Tune out now if you don’t want the spoiler(s)

 

Her mother finds Mona's secret diary in her room and reads it.

Pro: A maternal choice to know what your child is thinking.

Con: Destroying trust and a safe place to write down thoughts and fears. 

Parental Protection vs Right to Privacy. Do you think that's okay?
I'm on Team Not Okay. But I don't have children so I don't know what I would do in someone else's shoes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Women Ran Fifth Avenue *DNF*

Killers of a Certain Age ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Home of the American Circus ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫