Law Maker by Susie Tate
G👀dreads About Summary
Clara
Invisibility has been my go-to survival skill since childhood. So I hide behind my thick glasses and heavy fringe, working as a teaching assistant at the exclusive Molton Prep, happy with my seven-year-old pupils and studiously avoiding their posh parents. My one secret indulgence? Watching the gorgeous but wildly intimidating Lord Sterling sweep into school to collect his son.
I’m ridiculous. Not only is Rafe completely terrifying, but he’s a high-profile barrister destined to be the UK’s youngest ever judge. A girl with a background like mine should stay out of his way.
Rafe
How dare the school insist that I can’t meet the Miss Clara, who told my son his brain “works differently”? Nobody refuses a meeting with me. But when I bulldoze my way past the school rules to confront her, I’m shocked by how much this shy woman affects me. She might be too scared to make eye contact, but when it comes to defending my son, she’s surprisingly fierce. And after I convince her to work as my son’s tutor and she gradually stops flinching in my presence, my obsession with her only grows.
As a rule, I get what I want, and after seeing glimpses of her humour, kind heart and surprising strength, I want Clara Morris with an intensity I’ve never felt before. But I should be careful what I wish for, because Clara Morris is not who she says she is.
In my arrogance, I push her away, not realising that her fear runs deeper than simple shyness, not seeing the danger she’s in until it’s too late…
LAW MAKER is an opposites attract, billionaire, single father, contemporary romance, perfect for fans of intense, protective heroes and heroines overcoming trauma to find their happily ever after.
Content warning: this book features scenes of domestic violence.
Genre: Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Billionaire Romance, Dark Romance
The How/Why: Influenced by an author on IG when it was published in February.
Also I was looking for something to fill in between my book club's BotM which reads like a history book. I can only take it in small doses.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (I originally thought 4 Stars but then I didn't have any reason to deduct, so 5 Stars it is)
🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
🎣 Did it grab and keep my
attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣
🗣️Would I recommend it to
anyone? Yes ➕but check Triᵷᵷer Wɐrninᵷs first.
🕮 Would I
want a sequel? Maybe 🤷 It's Book 1. Book 2 expected in November. It's not a sequel but features Poppy. I read the About Summary. Okay, change that Maybe to a Yes ➕.
See Extra Tidbit below.
📚 Would I want to read more
books by this author? Yes ➕
⚠️💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? D0mɇ$tic Violɇncɇ, AbŲsɇ
🌶 🫑Spice? Google says 2.5 out of 5.
I'll let you know.
Update: I agree. 🌶🌶 🫑
🌪 Plot Twist? Yes, but I was pretty sure there is a plot twist from the About Summary
👟 Pace? Good
💻 Tidbits ~ Hidden Identity, Billionaire Romance. Not my typical but it sucked me in from the start and I enjoyed it through to the end. Maybe it's my new thing!
Clara – She started out as nothing but a weak inconvenience to her father, but she rose like a Phoenix from the ashes. Too cheesy? I hope not because she was the most timid-badass FMC I’ve enjoyed in a really long time. Timid FMCs usually turn me off. But her fear was earned, which made watching her turn fierce when protecting seven-year-old Ozzie so enjoyable. She had been secretly fantasizing about his father, Lord Rafe, so when she confronted him, whoosh! 🌪
Watch out for those quiet shy ones. This shy one turned confident and she upped the spice.
Yes, it's a little spicy. 🌶🌶 🫑2.5 peppers!
Lord Rafe – Very full of himself and put the "A" in Arrogant. He’s aggressive, pushy, and used to getting his way. He put his son's welfare and education above all so who could blame him for that?
But he couldn’t help but fall in love with Clara after seeing how she brought out Ozzie’s confidence. The more he got to know her he realized she was more than the tutor he hired - she was all the things he didn’t realize he needed in his powerful and very structured life.
He earned his superhero cape with me when he finally confronted her father.
Rafe: Clara is mine.
Me: No she’s not. She’s her own…
Rafe (growls): Nobody hurts what’s mine.
Me: Okay, fine.💘
So many great supporting characters in this story. Clara’s loyal friend Lottie, always by her side in her time of need. Poppy, Rafe’s over-the-top burst-of-sunshine sister. His son Ozzie and her little brother Josh. There aren’t enough hugs for those two! And Mrs. Clayton?! Nobody messes with Mrs. Clayton!
Susie Tate really brought out the total monster in Clara's father.
Kudos to her for the likeable and the unlikeable characters.
🎧 Narrator: Shane East and Zara Hampton-Brown - both fantastic. The man can bring on the growl! Rawr!
🎧10.30 hours (Hoopla) 🕮
372 pages
This book address dyslexia and domestic violence (father/daughter)
Author’s Note included some International Domestic Violence Hotlines and advised readers to seek help.
PSA - If you or someone you know feels unsafe:
In the USA: Call 800 799-SAFE (7233), Text "START" to 88788, use the online Chat option. Help is available 24/7.
Extra Tidbit: Speaking of the ever lovable Poppy, Book 2, The Deal Breaker, is expected to be published 11-3-2026.
~wanders off to find a Cheese and Pickle Sandwich Recipe.
Note: It's not pickles at all. It's cheese and chutney and it sounds pretty darn good!
 |
Five Star Highlights I provided the highlights Gemini AI provided the background |
Comments
Post a Comment