Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Cover Wars
| Canadian |
| Hungarian |
| Serbian |
| German |
| Swedish |
| Bulgarian |
| Portuguese |
| Hebrew |
Update: I didn't think she had a messy mind. Her thoughts and routine were very organized.
G👀dreads About Summary
Genre: Literary Fiction, Mental Health, Contemporary
The How/Why: It is my book club's BotM for our July meeting.
⭐⭐⭐⭐
🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉
🎣 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣
🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Maybe 🤷
🕮 Would I want a sequel? No ➖
📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Maybe 🤷 Rumor has it she has another book in the works but no info as to what it's about. If it's another mental health, no. If it's humorous chick lit, possibly.
💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? Google says: Sɇvɇrɇ ChïlƉ Abusɇ & Nɇglɇct, SȖicidal Idɇɐti0n & Aṱṱempṱ, Alc0h0lism & Substɐncɇ Abusɇ .
I'm adding Pɐsṱ Trɐumɐ.
🌶 Spice? No
🌪 Plot Twist? Yes
👟 Pace? Fair
💻 Tidbits ~ Not a spoiler ~ Eleanor Oliphant is NOT completely fine! Fine is word you're supposed to use when someone askes how you are:
"If someone asks you how you are, you are meant to say FINE. You are not meant to say that you cried yourself to sleep last night because you hadn't spoken to another person for two consecutive days. FINE is what you say."
Right off the bat we are experiencing every thought Eleanor
has. She is socially awkward with rigid routines, takes everything literally, and difficulty picking up on social cues such as slang expressions.
She has heightened logical and mathematical
skills.
Initial impression was that Eleonor was autistic or on the spectrum. Not
the case. She has PTSD from her past childhood trauma and suppressed memories.
Does she not remember or does she not want to remember?
I know, it was a cheap laugh, but please tell me I’m not the only one who got a chuckle out of her bikini wax experience and the fate of her polka dot socks! Maybe I’m just easily amused!
It took a minute but then she started to grow on me. I appreciated her ability to think things through to figure them out.
My heart ached for her as she hit rock bottom when she realized accepted that her romantic relationship with a musician was one sided.
I deducted one star because after ongoing alcohol abuse, she seemed to recover as quickly as some get over a common cold. Detox seemed unrealistic, even for a fictional character. A little time off work and a kitten to care for offered little conception of time for such a huge medical and psychological hurdle.
An epilogue of One Year Later would have tied that up more realistically for me.
Bottom line ~ Eleanor Oliphant is on the road to becoming completely fine!
Favorite Character - Raymond of course. Kind, gentle, patient, understanding.
Extra Tidbit ~ Movie in the works. 🎥
🎧 Narrator: Cathleen McCarron 😑 heavy accent, difficult to understand at times. When she voiced Eleanor and Raymond I could understand her *completely fine* (staying on theme). When she voiced the other characters, her accent was thick and fast and words seemed to run together. She's an Audie Award winner so it must just be my ears!
🎧11.02 hours (Libby) 🕮 336 pages
| Bookmark I created with Gemini AI Eleanor Oliphant is on the road to becoming completely fine |
Comments
Post a Comment