The Mudlarkers' Club by Jane Riley *DNF*
G👀dreads About SummaryThe day Adam leaves her, Gemma takes her heightened emotions, her now-ex-mother-in-law’s hot pink wellies, and a pair of yellow Marigold gloves down to the River Thames. She thinks finding historical objects in the hotchpotch of pebbles, rocks and mud is the only way to distract from her heartbreak. Until she meets an eclectic group of people who love to do the same thing.
As the mudlarkers begin to open up to each other, Gemma realizes that they are not just bonding over the wonders of the past, because what’s in the present might be more important. And perhaps friendship is not the only treasure to be found on the banks of the river…
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, British Literature
The How/Why: It was just published 2-12-2026 so most likely a SM ad since none of my GR or IG friends have reviewed it yet.
Mudlarking caught my attention because I learned about it in The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner. In the current timeline she found a bottle while mudlarking that took her back in time. It's still one of my favorites. My five star review of The Lost Apothecary is >> here.
,-*' ^ '~*-.,_,.-*~ ĎiĐ.,_,. ŇⓄ𝕋.,_,.ŦƗη𝓘ⓢħ ~*-.,_,.-*~' ^ '*-,
I don't rate books that I don't finish, but I will say WHY
when I've gone past the 20% mark.
1/3 of the way in and she's still wallowing in her sorrow over her husband leaving. I get it, it came out of nowhere, she was blindsided, and she's in shock. But everything she says, does, and thinks is revolving around him leaving.
She finds a sock. She bought him those socks. Did he leave one on purpose as a reminder? She hides it in his empty drawer.
I was getting depressed for her.
If you enjoy a slow burn trek through grief, than this one might be for you.
The author has captured the art of ruminating down to a science.
I'm not one to stick around waiting for it to get better. Life is short and my TBR menu is long.
I hope she found comfort in her new found mudlarking friends and was able to embrace her future.
🎧 Narrator: Lucy Hilton-Jones
Comments
Post a Comment