They Say a Girl Died Here ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
They Say a Girl Died Here by Sarah Pinborough
Genre: Fiction, Mystery & Thrillers
Goodreads added: Horror*, Psychological Suspense
I'm adding Paranormal
*See Extra Tidbits re: Horror
The How/Why: NetGalley
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ No deductions because I don't have anything to deduct for. It checked all the Mystery/Thriller boxes.
🎉 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
🎣 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣
🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕
🕮 Would I want a sequel? No ➖ Not necessary
📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕
💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? Sɇxuɐl Assɐult, MŪrdɇr & Vi0lɇncɇ, Dɇmɇntia & Mɇm0ry L0ss
🌶 Spice? No
🌪 Plot Twist? YES
👟 Pace? Never a lull
💻 Tidbits ~ There's nothing like moving to a small town and jumping headfirst into investigating an old closed case MŪrdɇr.
The M.u.r.d.e.r: Two young girls were Kiℒℒ*d exactly three years apart and the three-year anniversary is just around the corner.
The Family: After a traumatic event, Anna drops out of school and the family moves to what seems like the middle of nowhere. Family consists of a Grandma who has dementia, single hard working mom Claire, and little sister Caroline who is craving to be popular with the cool girls.
The Thing: Anna has blocked all memories of The Thing. "We don't talk about The Thing."
The Story: Grandma slips into an empty space and keeps saying "They say a girl died here. They say a girl died here". She is agitated and frightened. Things start to happen, and Anna believes the voices are trying to communicate a warning.
Caroline is worried it will happen again because the kids at school are all about the town's lore.
Anna starts investigating and is told by more than one local to butt out - the doctor, the sheriff, her new friend's dad, even her mom. The Case is Closed. Anna's mom is pushing her to go to therapy because "The Thing" is making her paranoid, but Anna can't push aside the feelings that the Kiℒℒ*r is still out there.
The Fear: Is the house haunted? Is grandma slipping away faster than they thought she would? Is the Kiℒℒ*d still out there? Are Anna or her sister at risk of being third victims on the quickly approaching anniversary date?
Favorite Character: Grandma. Grumpy is her love language.
🎧 Narrator: Saskia Maarleveld - Fantastic! One of my favs for Historical Fiction and she absolutely brought the Thrill to this Thriller. Never a lull.
EXTRA TIDBITS: Goodreads has listed Horror as a genre. Before diving in I consulted "Librarian Google" to see how graphic the horror is, because you know I don't like horror. The verdict? "Much heavier on creeping psychological dread and atmospheric tension then relentless, stomach-churning gore." I can do that!
It also indicated "Visceral Crime Scenes, Dementia Episodes, Creepy Local Lore". I can handle that too. We are good to go!
Thank you Sarah Pinborough for not going for shock value with graphic horror.
🎧9.20 hours (NetGalley) 🕮 320 pages
Not yet published. Expected 8-25-2026
Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for the free
ALC in exchange for my honest review.
| Grandma's Hot Chocolate I created with Gemini AI |
| Five Star Highlights, Created with Gemini AI I provided the highlights, AI provided the background |
Comments
Post a Comment