Murder in the Dollhouse ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Murder in the Dollhouse, The Jennifer Dulos Story by Rich Cohen


G👀dreads About Summary

An investigation into the mysterious disappearance of Jennifer Dulos and the aftershocks that shook a wealthy suburb
One morning, suburban mother Jennifer Dulos dropped off her kids at the New Canaan Country School and then vanished. Her body has never been found.

Dulos was in the middle of an ugly divorce—one of the most contentious in Connecticut state history. The Duloses, a beautiful, highly connected pair, met at Brown University, had five children, and led what appeared to be a charmed life. In the wake of her disappearance, Dulos’s husband and his girlfriend were arrested. He killed himself on the day he was supposed to report to court; she was tried and convicted of conspiracy to commit murder. A gripping story of status, wealth, love, and hate, Murder in the Dollhouse peers beneath the sparkling veneer of propriety that surrounded the Duloses to uncover the origins and motivations of a crime that became a national obsession.

Genre: Nonfiction, True Crime, Mystery, History, Biography Memoir

The How/Why: Down the Rabbit Hole: I was looking for The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis (not available on my platforms) and as always, Libby pulled "like" titles or stories. The title Murder in the Dollhouse caught my eye so I read the About. Nonfiction, True Crime, Unsolved Mystery. Sounds right up my alley. As soon as I scrolled down and saw Narrator: Edoardo Ballerini I was SOLD! Hit > Borrow Now. He's one of my favs and an automatic YES for me.

I must admit my TBR is giving me "the l👀k". I have five borrows on Libby waiting for me and a couple I thought would be next on Hoopla. This one jumped the line. I'm a mood reader and wasn't in the mood for any of them at the moment. But I will be...
I also have a couple pending on NetGalley and those always jump the line as soon as they are approved so L&H will just have be on standby for now. 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

🎉🎊 Overall Storytelling? 

True Crime Rating Categories:

  • Respect & Ethics 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Investigative Depth 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Narrative Pacing 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Objectivity & Bias 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Atmosphere & Insight 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

🎣🎏 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣

🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕If you enjoy taking a dive into true crime drama.

🕮 Would I want a sequel? Not applicable

📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕

⚠️💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? D0mɇstic AbŲsɇ, Partner Vi0lɇncɇ, MŪrdɇr, SȖicidɇ

🌶️🫑Spice? No

🌪 Plot Twist? N/A

👟 Pace? Great

💻 Tidbits ~ Wow, what a story about power couple Jennifer and Fotis Dulos. During a hostile divorce Jennifer dropped her five children off at school one morning and was never seen again.  Court transcripts identify that Jennifer was afraid of Fotis and feared for her life. Due to her fears, Fotis's limited visitation rights, and the ongoing investigation, temporary custody for the children was granted to Jennifer's mother. 

The investitive evidence was chilling. While Fotis left his cell phone at home to try to create a fake alibi, investigators used vehicle GPS and highway cameras to track him traveling to New Canaan. Later that night, his phone records and city surveillance video caught Fotis and his girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, driving down a Hartford street while Fotis stopped to dump garbage bags in several spots in a seedy part of town. Some of those bags were retrieved and contained Jennifer's blood. 

While Fotis was claiming his innocence he took his own life. It was said he'd rather die than live one more day in prison and away from his children. He never expressed any concern for his wife, only how horrible the situation was for him. The defense tried planting the seed that possibly Jennifer took her own life and was setting the stage to set him up for murder, possibly with the help of friend. 
The jury didn't buy that. Michelle was convicted on all counts, including conspiracy to commit murder, tampering with evidence, hindering prosecution. She was sentenced to 14.5 years in prison. 

Favorite Quote: "I would never want to belong to a club that would accept someone like me as a member."
Original by Groucho Marx, used to describe Jennifer's relationship with elite social circles. 

Extra Tidbits: 

When Jennifer went missing her five children were:
13 year old twins, 10 year old twins, and an 8 year old.

Per Google AI: Following Jennifer's disappearance in May 2019, the children were immediately placed in the care of their maternal grandmother, Gloria Farber, who was granted permanent custody later that year. They grew up under her care in a supportive, private environment in Manhattan alongside their longtime nanny, Lauren Almeida, who relocated to help raise them.

Per narrative in the book: After Gloria’s death, Lauren became their legal guardian.

The children reportedly have excelled academically and athletically.

Michelle Troconis is still serving time in prison. She's been denied a new trial, denied release on bond, and currently has an ongoing appeal. 

Bottom Line: You never know what's happening behind the closed doors of people living in a Dollhouse. 
Dollhouse reference in the title represents Jennifer's obsession with dollhouses as a child, and her pursuit of the perfect home, perfect marriage, perfect life... Unfortunately for Jennifer, she couldn't escape the violence which hit her dollhouse like a wrecking ball. 

🎧 Narrator: Edoardo Ballerini - Always fantastic.
I award him five golden mics
🎙️🎙️🎙️🎙️🎙️

🎧8.0 hours (Libby) 🕮 352 pages

I created with Gemini AI
Five Star Highlights created with Gemini AI
I provided the highlights
AI provided the background with 
my input for some of the rooms



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in Juniper Springs ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Personal Librarian ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Killers of a Certain Age ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐