Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Current Book ~ Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt


Cover Wars

The common thread is the statue,
except the Czech lady (center right).
And now I want to know what the deal is about her!  

The deal: It's all about the 
publishing rights (or lack thereof). Nothing noteworthy about the lady.

G👀dreads About Summary

Shots rang out in Savannah's grandest mansion in the misty, early morning hours of May 2, 1981. Was it murder or self-defense? For nearly a decade, the shooting and its aftermath reverberated throughout this city of moss-hung oaks and shaded squares. John Berendt's narrative reads like a thoroughly engrossing novel, and yet it is a work of nonfiction. Berendt interweaves a first-person account of life in this isolated remnant of the Old South with the unpredictable twists and turns of a landmark murder case.

The story is peopled by a gallery of remarkable characters: the well-bred society ladies of the Married Woman's Card Club; the turbulent young redneck gigolo; the hapless recluse who owns a bottle of poison so powerful it could kill every man, woman, and child in Savannah; the aging and profane Southern belle who is the "soul of pampered self-absorption"; the uproarious black drag queen; the acerbic and arrogant antiques dealer; the sweet-talking, piano-playing con artist; young blacks dancing the minuet at the black debutante ball; and Minerva, the voodoo priestess who works her magic in the graveyard at midnight. These and other Savannahians act as a Greek chorus, with Berendt revealing the alliances, hostilities, and intrigues that thrive in a town where everyone knows everyone else.

Genre: Nonfiction, True Crime, Mystery, Memoir

The How/Why: Someone I follow in IG was doing a thing about all time favorite nonfiction book. She listed her favs and ask people to comment what their favorites were. Several people said Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. That got me thinking... 💭 why have I never read this book? It was published 30 years ago. I'm guessing I just wasn't as into reading True Crime Mysteries over the past several decades as I am now. I watched them on TV but didn't read any.
Fun Fact: Over the years when I hear the book mentioned I say "I've been there!"
When we went to Savannah in 2022 we went to the Bonaventure Cemetery. Not because of the book (obviously), but because we like to visit old cemeteries. 

My photo of the entrance signage

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 💫 🔅  TBD I start with five and deduct if/when they lose me along the way.

🎉🎊 Overall Storytelling? TBD

  • Setting the stage. Atmosphere, Vibe
  • Likeable Characters: Protagonist, Supporting Cast, Extras
  • Unlikeable Antagonist
  • Executing the premise
  • Lives up to the promise

🎣🎏 Did it grab and keep my attention? TBD

🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕No ➖Maybe 🤷 TBD

🕮 Would I want a sequel? Yes ➕No ➖ Maybe 🤷 TBD

📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕No ➖ Maybe 🤷 TBD

⚠️💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? MŪrdɇr, DɇaṪh, ǤȖn Violɇncɇ

🌶️🫑Spice?

🌪 Plot Twist? TBD if yes, Predictable? 

👟 Pace? TBD

💻 Tidbits ~ 5 Star Review coming soon (I was gone for the weekend and need to get caught up and this and another)

Character Cheat Sheet:

Highlights: TBD

Lowlights: TBD

Favorite Character: TBD

Favorite Quote: "The half-hour before midnight is for doin' good. The half-hour after midnight is for doin' evil."
This one ties into the title. The "Garden" equals the Cemetery. Midnight being that crucial moment in time, smack in the middle of the half-hour before and the half-hour after.  


🎧 Narrator: Jeff Woodman, Will Damron, John Berendt

🎧15.11 😱 hours (Listened on: Libby) 🕮 386pages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in Juniper Springs ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Personal Librarian ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Killers of a Certain Age ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐