The Mother-in-Law ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth


Cover Wars
Cover Wars
I created with Gemini AI
There are actually more covers but
I thought these were the best ones! 

G👀dreads About Summary

A twisty, compelling new novel about one woman's complicated relationship with her mother-in-law that ends in death...

From the moment Lucy met her husband’s mother, she knew she wasn’t the wife Diana had envisioned for her perfect son. Exquisitely polite, friendly, and always generous, Diana nonetheless kept Lucy at arm’s length despite her desperate attempts to win her over. And as a pillar in the community, an advocate for female refugees, and a woman happily married for decades, no one had a bad word to say about Diana…except Lucy.
That was five years ago.
Now, Diana is dead, a suicide note found near her body claiming that she longer wanted to live because of the cancer wreaking havoc inside her body.
But the autopsy finds no cancer.
It does find traces of poison, and evidence of suffocation.

Who could possibly want Diana dead? Why was her will changed at the eleventh hour to disinherit both of her children, and their spouses? And what does it mean that Lucy isn’t exactly sad she’s gone?

Fractured relationships and deep family secrets grow more compelling with every page in this twisty, captivating new* novel from Sally Hepworth.

*Not new, published in 2019. I'm late to this party after just discovering Sally Hepworth with this year's Five Star Fav Mad Mabel.

Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Australia

The How/Why: See * above. Loved Mad Mabel and will be chipping away at some of Sally Hepworth's other novels. I also follow her on IG and she's a hoot and a half for someone with such twisted thrillers in her head! 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

🎉🎊 Overall Storytelling? 

  • Setting the stage. Atmosphere, Vibe 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Likeable Characters: Protagonist, Supporting Cast, Extras 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Unlikeable Antagonist 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Executing the premise 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Lives up to the promise 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

🎣🎏 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣

🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕

🕮 Would I want a sequel? No ➖Not necessary

📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕

⚠️💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? SȖicidɇ  & SȖicidal Idɇati0n, Infɇrtility & MiŞcɐrriɐᵷe, Infïdɇlïty, MŪrdɇr

🌶️🫑Spice? No

🌪 Plot Twist? Yes, Predictable? I saw it coming

👟 Pace? Very Good

💻 Tidbits ~ This book grabbed my attention from the first page and never let it go. Sally Hepworth is not afraid to write about sensitive subjects like unplanned pregnancy vs infertility, extreme wealth vs struggling to make ends meet, infidelity, assisted suicide, and, of course Mother-in-Laws vs Daughter-in-Laws. 

Lucy is not the daughter-in-law Diana had envisioned. I felt your pain Lucy. I felt the same way when I met my own MIL. Over the years, Diana's view of Lucy changed - just like my MIL's did. Lucy and I are kindred spirits!  

Tom and Diana went from rags to riches so Diana thought her children should earn their own way too. Tom was more lenient, secretly sneaking money to them when needed. 
After Tom's death, Diana starts to see her family in a different light, realizing they are all she has left. 

So why did she abruptly change her will, eliminating their inheritance right before she planned to take her own life? And why the discrepancies in the autopsy report trigging a MŪrdɇr investigation?!?!

It's always the one you least suspect... or is it? They all seem to have a motive fueled by dark secrets and hidden resentment. 

Favorite Quote: Quote: “Someone once told me that you have two families in your life - the one you are born into and the one you choose. But that's not entirely true is it? Yes, you may get to choose your partner, but you don't, for instance, choose your children. More importantly, you don't choose your mother-in-law. The cackling mercenaries of fate determine it all.”

Favorite Character: They were all likeable in their fractured ways, so I'll go with least favorite. Patrick, the Son-in-Law.

🎧 Narrator: Barrie Kreinik was fantastic. 

🎧9.18 hours (Hoopla) 🕮 347 pages

Five Star Highlights
Created with Gemini AI
I provided the highlights
AI created the background


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in Juniper Springs ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Personal Librarian ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Killers of a Certain Age ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐