The Three Graces of Pearl Street ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Three Graces of Pearl Street by Elizabeth Wellington Rollins

G👀dreads About Summary

In this wise and warm debut novel, an Italian American grandmother, daughter, and granddaughter all named after the Roman myth of the Three Graces find their lives—and their secrets—colliding when, after years apart, they come to live under the same roof.

Graziella, the ninety-six-year-old matriarch of this Italian American family, spends her days running not only her family but her parish's food kitchen, keeping everyone fed in their working-class New York neighborhood.
Her daughter, Grace, is feeling uninspired at her job, battling the throes of menopause, and most urgently, trying to stay afloat amidst her impending divorce.
Ella, granddaughter of Graziella and daughter to Grace, is stuck in limbo, tired of trying to defend her vegan diet and anti-capitalistic lifestyle, while still wanting to do something important with her life.

Uplifting and emotionally layered, The Three Graces of Pearl Street explores the intricacies of what it means to balance tradition with modernity, to celebrate moments of ordinary grace, and to embrace the most authentic version of yourself.

Genre: Historical Fiction, Family

The How/Why: Recommended by my bookish buddy Gail. 
AND, in another About Summary (there are more than one), it says "Graziella, a 96 year old former nun...". A Nonagenarian former nun matriarch? Sign me up! 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

🎉🎊 Overall Storytelling? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉all categories. 

  • Setting the stage. Atmosphere, Vibe
  • Likeable Characters: Protagonist, Supporting Cast, Extras
  • Unlikeable Antagonist
  • Executing the premise
  • Lives up to the promise

🎣🎏 Did it grab and keep my attention? 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣

🗣️Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes ➕

🕮 Would I want a sequel? Maybe 🤷 It's not necessary but I wouldn't mind knowing what's next for Ella. 

📚 Would I want to read more books by this author? Yes ➕

⚠️💣💥 📢 Content Warnings? Family Abɐnȡ0nment & Estrɐngement, SȖbstɐncɇ AbŲsɇ & Aȡȡicti0n, Dementia & Elder Care. 
I'd deleting SA&A because there was barely a mention and it wasn't the main characters. Also deleting D&EC because Graziella had all her wits about her until her last breath. 

🌶️🫑Spice? No. A little romance and touching but no Sɇxcapades. 

🌪 Plot Twist? No

👟 Pace? Good

💻 Tidbits ~ Oh how I adored these three strong women. 
Graziella was a picture perfect Matriarch. She has not only dedicated her life to funding a food pantry, she gave everything to those in need.
Grace was struggling with not only menopausal hormones, but dealing with the fact that her husband left her and he wants to expedite the divorce.
Ella, a brilliant young lady but confused trying to discover what direction her life was supposed to take. 
Three generations in three stages of life: As one is approaching her end of life, another is starting over in midlife, while another is searching for her purpose in life. 

Highlights:
Multiple POVs and Multiple Narrators. 
Old-world traditions vs freedoms of modern life.
Life altering crossroads.
A Mother, Daughter, Granddaughter with deep family roots. 
Their Italian heritage passed down through time.
Renewal, Forgiveness, and Belonging.

Lowlights:
None. Seriously, I wouldn't change a thing but two side notes.
1- Initially when I saw the audiobook was 14 hours I was :gasp: >>😱. However the time flew by and I wasn't ready for it to end.
2- I can see how some readers might not be happy about Graziella spilling the tea about her experience with the Catholic Church. 

Favorite Character: I don't have one. I enjoyed all of their stories. 

Favorite Quotes:
Graziella thinking to herself: "
She didn’t know how many lives she had left, but she would use the last of them for her granddaughter." 💕

"The healing power of a cheese plate". YES!

Historical vs Fiction (because I always want to know):
Historical: The setting and houses, the family lineage, The Matriarch’s spark, and the cultural context.
Fiction: While Inspired by true family dynamics, the scenario was completely invented. The link to the Roman myth of the Three Graces. The family secrets and grievances.

🎧 Narrator: Carlotta Brentan (Graziella), Vivienne Leheny (Grace), Janet Metzger (Ella).  All excellent. Carlotta brought on the Nonna energy. Vivienne brought the hysterics. Janet relayed the confusion. They all captured the family love. 

🎧14.0 hours 😱(Listened on: Libby) 🕮 416 pages

Extra Tidbit: The books says they were named after the statue The Three Graces. 
In real life there *IS* such a statue, created by Italian Sculptor Antonio Canova in 1814. 

Antonio Canova's statue The Three Graces is a Neoclassical sculpture, in marble, of the mythological three Charites, daughters of Zeus. They are identified on some engravings of the statue as, from left to right, Euphrosyne, Aglaea and Thalia – who were said to represent mirth (Euphrosyne), elegance (Aglaea), and youth/beauty (Thalia).
It is interesting that the characters were named Grazielle after the The Three Graces, even though the daughters of Zeus were not named Grace. They were three Charities, which translates from Greek, to "Grace" in English.
That concludes your history lesson of the day!  

Five Star Highlights
I provided the highlights
Gemini AI provided the background





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in Juniper Springs ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Personal Librarian ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Killers of a Certain Age ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐